LIFE Actuarial Associate (2021 New Graduate – Toronto)
POSITION: LIFE Actuarial Associate (2021 New Graduate – Toronto)
LOCATION: Toronto, ON
ANTICIPATED START DATE: Immediately or upon graduation (2021)
Toronto , Canada
Munich Re, Canada (Life) is recruiting for its 2021 class of permanent entry-level Actuarial Associates. We’re seeking client-focused individuals who are looking to join a team that will lead them on the path towards a successful career in the insurance space, where they’ll go on to realize their personal and professional potential.
As an Actuarial Associate, you’ll start your career with Munich Re within one of our many departments. Working closely with other actuarial and business units, you’ll work on real industry problems while applying collaborative approaches to deliver high-quality solutions for both internal and external clients. As a valued member of the team, you’ll be called upon for your insights while receiving ongoing support and training to help position you as a future leader in the field.
Current Munich Re departments with immediate Actuarial Associate opportunities, include:
Individual or Group Reinsurance Solutions (Pricing):
The focus of these teams is on acquiring and maintaining new business through fostering strong client relations, developing innovative solutions, and evaluating product profitability. As an Associate, you’ll be challenged to understand key drivers in profitability due to changes in assumptions, reinsurance agreements, industry trends, and product design. You’ll have the opportunity to work on high-impact projects including developing client strategies, reporting profitability to senior management, market research, and quoting on special business.
Global Actuarial Consulting Group (GACG):
GACG provides actuarial consulting services to various departments and business units within Munich Re globally. Along with exposure to diverse and high-impact projects, this team offers a platform to develop a strong technical foundation, as well as a holistic viewpoint of our global business. As an Associate, you can expect to balance multiple projects, while learning from a dynamic group of qualifying actuaries and seasoned experts.
Note that all opportunities will be based in our Toronto office. Note that departments will be assigned based on a combination of factors, such as: your interest, skill set, and business need.
First and foremost, you demonstrate a natural desire to provide exceptional client service through your energy, enthusiasm, and initiative. Specifically, we’re looking for the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Actuarial Science, Math, Statistics, Risk Management, or equivalent program – in healthy academic standing;
- Completion of at least two actuarial exams with demonstrated progress towards ASA designation required;
- Relevant work experience, having completed at least one relevant internship or co-op work term in the Canadian Life and Health Insurance/Reinsurance industry;
- Experience in financial analysis, modelling, and reporting;
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills;
- Excellent communication skills – spoken & written, formal/informal presentation;
- Demonstrated ability to create and manage positive professional relationships with good client service acumen;
- Proven capability to multi-task and successfully self-manage multiple priorities and projects of various significance;
- Exhibits solid organizational skills and rigorous attention to detail/accuracy in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrates leadership qualities – clear-thinking, curiosity, integrity, and drive.
- Proficient in Microsoft Access and/or SQL;
- Familiarity with GGY Axis and DataLink;
- Programming skills (such as, but not limited to: Python, Java, VBA, C/C++/C#, etc).
Note that this opportunity is open to both 2021 graduating students, as well as recent graduates who have obtained their degree within the past year.
Munich Re’s track record as one of the world’s leading reinsurance companies is based on a solid capital foundation, in-depth risk expertise and market know-how. Our data, our technology, and our teams place us in a unique position to lead the change to redefine the nature and impact of reinsurance for the future. We’re investing strategically in our world class talent, offering our employees a diverse and challenging work environment which promotes professional development, innovation, and passion – and rewards high performance.
Please note that only candidates who are selected for interview will be contacted directly.
We thank all candidates for their interest.