Senior DevOps Engineer - North American Integrated Analytics Team
Munich Re is one of the world’s leading reinsurance companies with approximately 45,000 employees in over 50 locations around the globe. We are looking to expand our diverse team of Data Scientists, Machine Learning Engineers, and Software Engineers as we take on and deploy more complex and larger projects. Headquartered in midtown New York City, our Integrated Analytics team operates like a start-up within the larger corporation; we are central to innovation and pioneering new technologies in the Life Insurance space. The goals of our department are to make buying insurance policies less invasive and easily accessible to more people.
As a fast-growing startup within the Life and Health division, you will have broader responsibilities and development opportunities than a typical tech company. The Integrated Analytics department is looking for individuals who thrive in a collaborative and fast-paced working culture and who are eager to learn and grow from their peers.
The Integrated Analytics team is looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer. This is a North American team and the role could be based out of Toronto or New York City.
New York , United States
Munich Re sees the development of new predictive services as instrumental in making it easier for people to buy life insurance and to expand the number of people insured. The Integrated Analytics team leads this effort in the US and Canada for the North American Life business. The role of the Senior DevOps Engineer is to develop, deploy, monitor and support data intensive applications for underwriting, audit, fraud detection and portfolio monitoring.
- Manage Kubernetes based production infrastructure on Azure supporting multiple machine learning and data focused services.
- Implement CI/CD pipelines using Azure DevOps with a focus on testing, code quality, and security.
- Production monitoring, alerting, and incident management.
- Collaborate on projects with a team of Data Scientists, Machine Learning Engineers and Software Engineers.
- Adapt and customize machine learning and natural language processing to execute core data ingestion and transformation tasks: translations, validations, exception detection.
- Work with both commercial software solutions and open source software.
- Run distributed image recognition and natural language processing to capture data from unstructured data including image, text and handwriting.
- Implement Python-based predictive models and applications as microservices using the Flask web framework.
- Advocate for software engineering best practices, perform code review, and facilitate collaboration.
- Evaluate statistical, machine learning and deep learning methods and technologies that could offer potential competitive advantages.
- Collaborate with members of the Munich Re global community and external partners in client organizations.
First and foremost, the successful candidate will demonstrate a natural desire to provide exceptional client service through his/her energy, enthusiasm and initiative.
In addition, we are looking for the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Information Technology, Engineering, equivalent field or substantial coursework in relevant disciplines.
- 3-5 years of experience as a DevOps Engineer, Software Engineer or Data Engineer.
- Experience deploying cloud infrastructure, preferably using Azure.
- Expertise with Kubernetes (including network security policies, certificate management, RBAC, Helm), CI/CD automation, Docker, and microservice architecture.
- Experience with Python, Flask, SQL.
- The ability to learn quickly.
- A drive to make a difference.
- Thrives in a dynamic environment and successfully delivers on multiple assignments under deadlines.
- Insurance or financial services background is preferred but not required.
- Familiarity with big data technologies (ex. Apache Spark, Airflow, etc.), natural language processing and deep learning frameworks (ex. Tensorflow, Pytorch) is an asset but not required.
- Familiarity with Infrastructure-as-code (Terraform, Anisible, etc.) is preferred.
Munich Re Life US aspires to be the premier reinsurance business partner that delivers exceptional value to our clients and stakeholders. As the US-based life subsidiary of one of the world's largest reinsurance companies, we are the industry leader in delivering world-class service and solutions to many of the most recognized insurance companies around the globe. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package that rewards hard work and success.