Research Scientist - New Tech & AI
San Francisco , United States
Your jobThe New Technologies and AI Underwriting team is part of our recently formed global IoT structure. You would join an experienced business unit structuring new risk-transfer solutions in the area of new technologies and data-driven business models. In particular, we seek to drive insurance backed performance guarantee solutions for machine learning based services of start-ups. Your focus will be on working with predictive analytics start-ups in Silicon Valley to structure solutions which enable their go-to-market-strategy and help them grow. You will assess the quality of the implementation of the machine learning system and estimate the probability of predictions falling short compared to the actual outcomes. You will build relationships with leading research institutions in the area of statistics and machine learning and you will keep the team up to date with the latest developments in this area. You will also contribute to establish relationships with predictive analytics start-ups. We are looking for a Research Scientist who combines a strong background in statistics or computer science with a business oriented mindset to develop financial solutions for predictive analytics start-ups and who will help us shape Munich RE’s future. The position will be based in Silicon Valley / San Francisco.
- Degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science or related fields or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in a data scientist role with start-up companies or a graduate degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Data Science or related fields.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in assessing technical implementation of machine learning based models of start-ups on behalf of Venture Capital firms or other entities.
- Excellent understanding of modern machine learning techniques, best practices in their implementation at scale and performance evaluation.
- Excellent understanding of sampling theory, bootstrapping and other approaches and their limitations around confidence interval estimations for different machine learning models.
- Excellent networking and stakeholder management skills.
- Excellent abstract reasoning and communication skill.
- Ability to reduce complexity and communicate concisely the most important points of a deal opportunity to senior management.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Good working proficiency in Python, R or comparable programming languages.
- Highly ambitious, entrepreneurial, and innovative mindset, curiosity and drive.
- Didactic and intercultural competence.
- Willingness to work in deal teams distributed across different time zones and continents.
- Willingness to travel.
- Strong ability to quickly understand new and complex business cases.
- Experience in Venture Capital.
- Fluency in English is a must, fluency in German a plus.
Founded in 1917, Munich Reinsurance America, Inc. is one of the largest reinsurers in the United States. Munich Reinsurance America, Inc. has earned the A+ (Superior) financial strength rating from A.M. Best Company - that's among the highest in the industry. Over 1,000 employees serve our clients from our Princeton, New Jersey campus and regional offices throughout the United States.
As a member of Munich Re's US operations, we offer the financial strength and stability that comes with being part of the world's preeminent insurance and reinsurance brand. Our risk experts work together to assemble the right mix of products and services to help you stay competitive - from traditional reinsurance coverages, to niche and specialty reinsurance and insurance products.