Accountant - 12-month contract (m/f/d) *
Reporting to the Technical Accounting Manager, the Accountant’s primary responsibility will be to provide assistance to the monthly and quarterly closing and support the finance department. The Accountant will be focused on ensuring timely analysis of data contributing to internal and external financial reporting and on the communication errors, omissions and other issues to management. The successful candidate will have strong analytical skills, be comfortable with learning new systems and have a good understanding of technical accounting. This role will be based out of our downtown Toronto office and is a 12-month contract.
- Provide standard monthly account reconciliations for a variety of general ledger accounts, ensuring consistency, accuracy and completeness
- Assist with the timely and accurate monthly reporting of related party balances
- Provide timely analysis of A/P and A/P, and Ceded Claims and Ceded Claims Reserves for IFRS 17 reporting purposes
- Ensure premium tax invoices are validated, posted and paid in a timely manner for the various jurisdictions
- Communicate any errors, omissions or issues discovered in the course of analysis/reconciliation
- Proactively identify opportunities for process improvement without sacrificing accuracy
- Prepare a selection of supporting schedules for quarterly statutory reporting
- Collaborate with local, parent and ultimate parent company teams
Driven by technology and fueled by innovation, HSB is Canada’s premier specialty insurance and applied technology services provider. Offering 150 years of technical and service excellence, we are focusing on emerging trends and unlocking new opportunities for clients. Today, we are accelerating, changing the future of insurance and risk solutions, for a modern world.
At HSB, we value the strengths and contributions of our diverse workforce. We offer continuous learning opportunities, giving you flexibility to grow in your career while enjoying a healthy work-life balance and a collaborative approach in our coast-to-coast network of offices. Become part of a rewarding and impactful experience while seeing first-hand technologies and risk solutions that are changing the way we live and work.
HSB is much more! It’s insurance. Engineering. Technology. To learn more about us, please visit www.hsb.ca
- 2 years experience in an accounting role, preferable in property & casualty insurance
- A recognized accounting certificate or designation
- Experience with IFRS, Planning and Forecasting preferred
- Knowledge of Power BI, SUN Systems and/or SAP is considered an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication, and organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy; strong analytical skills required
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
Creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes respect, diversity and dignity is important to us. We strive for equality in our workplace, to eliminate employment barriers, and promote a workplace based on principles which align with our company values and promote positive employee practices. Candidates requiring accommodation during any stage of our selection process should advise us of this; we will strive to work with individuals to find a suitable means to meet their needs.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.